What? Bullying
Who? Refugees coming to America
What? Refugees coming to america get bullied because they are not american.
When? throughout their lives until they fix their differences
How? Insecurity
Bullying is an opportunity for insecure people to make other people feel insecure for personal reasons.
Bullying has always been around since school began. There are a lot of people who experience bullying. Students, Teachers, businesses, communities, specific beliefs, different ideologies, anything that can be a target for judgment can be bullied. In my opinion, the need came from psychology to where human beings want to feel good, putting down others will give them a boost in their own life. We as humans now are creating programs and prohibiting such acts, we provide counseling and support groups to avoid anyone from getting bullied. Bullying has never gone away and it will never be completely gone because we as humans will remain humans with opinions.
First interviewers = Mark.
Mark is a 13 year old in middle school and I got to interview him for bullying. Mark has experienced bullying the first two years of middle school and I was expecting with my interview to hear similar ideas to what my experience with bullying was. Mark got made fun of for various different reasons but the main big reason is because he was fat. Mark was not overweight, but he was not skinny and he told me every time him and his friends play basketball, he gets made fun of, gets shoved harder than other kids, gets challenged the most etc. and I wanted to ask mark simple questions because he was a younger teen. Mark told me the reason he got bullied was because he did not fit in. He was from Syria and every time he explained that, the other kids would not understand and he would get made fun of. I told him what was it exactly and he told me it was the fact that he was not from America. When did it start happening? After he became more social around school experiencing the different types of people at his school, he essentially had to get down with a certain group and be cool with them but they were still giving him a hard time. How were they bullying him? they would throw paper at him, not allow him to play sometimes, gets called names, last year he told me he got into a fight because of what happened and therefore so far I exactly believed my beliefs about bullying because I personally have experienced it first hand myself. I was not surprised to see this but I still wanted to interview the person to make sure if new things are happening, or if the motive for bullying has changed. Mark had to change his group of friends, start dressing different, and he is trying to move on and not allow any bullying around him and that is why he was okay to talk to me about this.
Second interview = Layalina Restaurant
I used to work at a lounge 3 years ago and I wanted to understand the bullying in the business side of aspect as presented during lecture. I went to my previous employer and sat down for 10 minutes to ask certain questions about the restaurant and if they get bullied. The restaurant has been opened for 6 years and every year they have seen a decrease in sales due to the fact that other restaurants are located all around them. This was a family owned business, and they served Mediterranean food.
I asked the business why they were dropping in sales and in other words their answer was there is competition around them and therefore they were not making as much as they could. I continued asking them who? They told me other restaurants around them kept popping up throughout the years and their business declined which could essentially take them out of business. What was happening is that every year more restaurants around the shopping area came around and new people were not entering the establishment. It has been happening for the past four years and their advertisement was not as strong as the other branched restaurants around them and therefore their business is slowing down. I asked the restaurant if there was anything that they could do and they could either advertise outside of their area or relocate which was not an option. And I took all of that information and looked at how the business was being chewed out because of the location, the service, etc. So not only bullying happens throughout day to day interactions, it happens to small business that are trying to make a living. And then I thought about how two different gas stations are located next to each other but there is always the one with 1 penny cheaper and so now I understand the different tactics businesses use to bully their competitor. Of course this business is getting bullied because not everything is the same and we need to have competition to drive the people to be more creative, but this type of bullying is upsetting to me because it is effecting a community. This method of bullying is causing a whole restaurant to shut down and that is the effect. I am not surprised because I do live in modern world, but it is upsetting. The restaurant has to expand their knowledge on advertising, expand their dishes options, serve out deals and promo codes to attract new customers.
Third interview = my mom
I wanted to interview my mom because for starters I could not get anyone else to agree to my interview, and second my mom had a different take on bullying and I wanted to interview her. My mom was a nun before she got married and she told me that while she was a nun serving the lord, she would get bullied in her sister life hood due to many different reasons. This is the first time I speak on this story but I wanted to get to a certain point with this story to where it validates my point. My mom got bullied when she was 17 because she was Lebanese. She was treated poorly she states, she would have to do more work than any other nun, she would receive less food and the reason my mom agreed to doing it all was to get away from home where she also got bullied at home. The reason for bullying in this story is not complying to insane orders such as clean the whole building or cook for the whole family. It mostly happened to my mom when she was growing up but the moral of the story is that I had my thoughts and mind set up on a belief because it sticks. Bullying will never change, and there will always be bullying around whether it is in the lords house, at school, throughout neighborhoods. There are many reasons to get bullied and one big example of it is this interview where i did interview a person who is going through the public schools, a person who is in the church, and a business who is just trying to strive to support themselves. I am a little surprised by this because just for a second, I thought bullying had restrictions and that it would not extend to this level but people are people and this is the effect of bullying. My mom just simply had to leave the nun worshiping and return home because that type of bullying defeated her and she could not out beat it.
Therefore, bullying is a form to express negative ideas whether it is verbal or physical. I still believe that being a foreigner or being different in any tribe will get you bullied because you are not the same and being different automatically makes you a target. What i learned from interviewing these people is that no matter the circumstance, bullying is a world wide issue and subconsciously it happens to anyone who is a target to get bullied. My opinion did not change because again I was bullied growing up and I know who gets bullied, the reasons to why people get bullied whether you work at Walmart or Publix, some person is getting bullied to some degree.
I believe entrepreneurs need to adapt to what customers need. As a person who is trying to sell a service, I need to make sure it is suitable for all these different types of people rather than just my type of people. I can target only my type of people but if I want any real success in my business idea, then I would need to target a larger audience thus being more flexible with my ideas. Entrepreneurs should always accommodate and adapt to modern world because everyday something new is coming out and businesses need to catch up.
No comments:
Post a Comment