To Be Loved: The Music, the Magic, the Memories of Motown- Berry Gordy
1) What surprised me the most? What surprised me the most is that Berry gave up a few million dollars not selling his company because he could not give up his company. His company was not even succeeding and he was promised more money than the company has ever made.
What did I admire the most? Berry Gordy starts the book by thanking every single member that shaped the book that he has created and I admire his real feelings that he produces in the beginning of the text because it shows that he is not just a writer that wants to push an agenda on us, he is a human like me and he specifically states that he is a human being like us with just a story to share.
Least Admire? The author only had talent to provide and did not understand how to manage his company like a business man. Berry had talent but he could not compete with the million dollar companies that were established with wealth and popularity and they were capable of doing 20 times more the amount Berry could and he did not realize that until he regained CEO of his company so it just shows me the compulsive decisions the author did throughout his journey.
The entrepreneur did fail and felt wakened when he realized what he had done and essentially he decided to adopt upcoming artists that he believed in and If i was Berry writing about my accomplishments, I would have spoke in a egoistic manner but the way Berry writes about himself allowing other artist to grow was such a beautiful transition from his failure and essentially he won more gaining fame and introducing underground artists through his platform is why he succeeded so well because he create a pathway to upcoming artists, and did not center himself.
2) The entrepreneur was able to expand his platform to focus on other artists. He understood how other companies were using their social media abilities to push their music on to listeners and so Berry had to create the same idea using his own inventions and machines to allow music lovers to listen to his music worldwide.
3) One confusing part was when Berry started ripping off his artists. I mean I do understand that the reasons to his finessing of artists but the fame and money were not going to suffice the hostility that he created between Motown and his signed artists. I was also confused on how smart Berry was because since young, he has always been on a different wave than everyone else around him, he questions his parents and his friends, he understood at a young age what creating means and that confuses me because when I was younger, I did not have the ability or desire to work on myself like Berry did and so it makes me reflect on my own life as to how I can better myself and work harder for the goals that i am trying to achieve.
4) 1- Would you have sold your company the first time?
2- Do you think Motown could have been done without the aid received from the supporters?
I know that in the text, Berry was devastated at one point and could not imagine to why he rejected the deal that would have changed his life but he decided to work harder because he trusted his long term vision which is pretty scary to me. In today's world, I try to take anything that is guaranteed to me because it is safe and it does not screw me over at the end of the day but the book shows exact examples of risk taking and to what that can lead you to.
5) Hard work was beating the odds of creating something from nothing and if you care enough about anything, then nothing is going to stop you from completing that task. I believe in my own thoughts that nothing amazing in life is going to come easily, but luck does exist in this world and if you are in the correct places and the correct times with enough credibility and effort, then you will be destined to do great things in this world.
Hi Mickel,
ReplyDeleteI think it's awesome you read the book on Berry Gordy because honestly, I did not know who he was before reading your blog post. I definitely agree with you on the fact that it is scary that Berry turned down a deal that could've changed his life drastically because he could see the bigger picture in the future. I think that takes a lot of strength and courage, which must be why he is so successful today.