Tuesday, April 14, 2020

27A reading reflection

Cognitive Surplus, Clay Shirky

1) This book's argument is that because of the internet, we will essentially transform a new cultural shift into how we interact with each other, the things we think about, what matters to us the most, and what our humanity will value. This book argues that due to the internet, our social engagement will shift into new perspectives and the relationships between individuals is going to have different values and principles.

2) The book enhanced my experience in this class because it taught me a few valuable things in regards of free time and utilizing social engagement. This class has made me connect virtually with other class mates and comment on their posts. Reading their venture businesses has allowed me to connect with my peers and this book discusses the new way of socializing. Not that we have not had this form of communication for a very long time, but it is the sense of what we are used to when talking to people face to face will change.

3) I would speak on correlating our normal lives and how the media impacts our day to day activities. We could be a news Chanel or a social media and we would see cause and effect of what happens to us physically and emotionally if we are on these channels for long periods of times. This book tests the means of our personnel lives and showed me that there will always be an agenda put in place, we just have to connect to one another.

4) When I read about personal values in this class, it was the AHA moment for me because we can all interpret this in a different way. My personal values will be different than my brother or my classmate and that is why the theme of this book can be taken into many different other themes depending on our experiences. For example: I will try extra hard to have a real moment with people because I have experienced that in my life but with the shift to internet of things, the next generation might not understand that value. And then that value will be forgotten about therefore it does not matter. But to me, it is my whole life so that was interesting to read.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Fadel,
    Really good analysis. I found it interesting to read about your personal values. I always find it really interesting to hear about what other people value in life. I like how you related your life to the book. I agree with you that its a very relatable book.

    ReplyDelete