My name is Mickel Fadel. I am a student
at the University of Florida. I am here today to share with you my description
of a concept for a new venture. The Straw-Whisk. I have found an opportunity
here in Gainseville, Florida and I am seeking to seize this unmet need using my
innovation and venture concept. Since Alachua County passed the ban on plastic
straws, I as an entrepreneur became more aware of this potential venture concept
and desired a change for the paper straws. Essentially, I became a potential customer
with a need for a reformation of paper straws. After a few conversations the effect
of paper straws, I became aware of this problem that Gainesville and other
regions have suffered and that created a window of opportunity for myself. My Straw-Whisk
is geographically stable and demographically has the potential to flourish due
to the number of students and individuals who eat out in general. There are
many restaurants in the world and receiving a well-textured straw will
stimulate the need of the customers and will allow them to be loyal to the
higher quality product with the “nice” straws. This opportunity has the capability
of reaching worldwide with the right amount of laws put in place and it has a high-volume
demand worldwide. Until restaurant owners remove the sale of beverages, straws
will always have a need in the market and this window of opportunity is infinite
worldwide. Every person in the world has at least eaten out or used a straw, and
they did not care which kind of straw they got, if they received a straw with
their beverage. Plastic is always the option and therefore if I can get my
product out there just like plastic did, then I see my invention becoming everlasting
money machine.
My Innovation is a paper straw
with a twist. The Straw-Whisk. My straw is different than any other
paper straw because it includes a glazed bees wax from the middle of the straw
all the way to the tip in order for the costumer to feel satisfied drinking out
of his/her beverage without the soggy texture. Some paper straws even rip apart,
and with my glazed protection we secure the middle part of the straw allowing
the straw to remain in water for a longer period without ripping apart. My
straw is made out of biodegradable materials therefore it has a more positive environment
risk than any other straw because if it ends up in the ocean, the wax is more
likely to get eaten by fishes and the paper will dissolve in the water, unlike
plastic. Paper is much more expensive than plastic but due to this law passed,
paper will not be consumed by users and nothing is wrong with a little twist to
it from my end. Therefore, I decided to remove paper from the straw essentially
saving more money than regular paper, because wax is cheaper than paper and as a
user, I do want to decrease the cost for my merchants. Therefore, I have decided
to cut the paper in half and use wax for the other half reducing the cost of
the straw, while also securing the straw. Depending on who I am dealing business
with, is how my pricing will go because I refuse to sell thousands of straws to
Costco and sell the same straws to local restaurants when they purchase 1/10th
of that price. What I will make sure to do is remain my cost a little under the
cost that they are receiving to make sure that both parties are satisfied with
this process. The only way my business can start running efficiently is to make
sure I am hitting my goals and I am meeting my needs. My goal is to target a
market with a high demand using The Straw-Whisk and I want to satisfy my
costumers, my users, and my retailers/wholesale departments. I would
essentially sell a pack of 24 straws for under 2 dollars which is cheaper than
any other straw company out right now. With the packaging, the shipping, the
making of the straws, the handling, the taxes, I would still be profiting from
selling the straws for that much in retail price on the shelves of Walmart or
Costco. My restaurant and wholesale businesses would receive a cheaper price
because they are purchasing more than a few hundred straws and therefore I would
be willing to drop my prices to a penny per straw. That would make 100 straws
equal a dollar. I would be making so many of these straws at such a low cost
that I would double my margins if I sold one straw for a penny.
Venture Capital.
My innovation will allow consumers
to be satisfied to using the paper straws without complaining or feeling unhappy
about their product. I for sure have felt the need to throw away my paper straw
out many times due to the discomfort of the sogginess texture received from the
straw. Not only will costumers be delighted from using the unique straw, we
would also be raising awareness regarding out marine lives since the law was
passed for that reason. The reason to why costumers would switch to my product Is
because it will be forced on them just how plastic or paper was forced on them,
and it will be very easy to switch because it is a better product than the
paper or plastic product used before. My glazed tip includes a comfort around
the lips causing a unique satisfactory in the brain to prolong the sipping
action. My competitors are other straw makers with different materials and their
weaknesses are that my product is cheaper and natural. My product is natural
and has an enormous amount of supplies without harming our planet. My secret sauce
is that I am cheap to make, my next venture is to create a professional prototype
by the end of the year, and I see myself creating a large demand in the United States
as an entrepreneur. This venture allows me to grasp an idea on my future.
Hi Mickel,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your venture concept on the Straw-Whisk. I think this is a great innovation. I always get annoyed when drinking from a paper straw and it basically melts while i'm drinking. I think your straw will appeal very well to college students that want to be eco-friendly. Also, your venture has great profit margins if you are able to advertise and supply restaurants with these straws, making it easier for you to scale in the future.