Wednesday, April 8, 2020

25A

In my next actions, I want to get my invention a prototype to showcase my straw. As long as I have an idea of what my prototype is going to look like, then I will go out to my 5 mile radius and begin selling to restaurants near me.

Interview number 1 recommended that I try to create a curve on my tip to create a even more unique texture. Interview number 1 recommended that I give out a few samples for free before I charge and I will go ahead with that idea to make sure the consumers are satisfied.

Interview number 2 recommended that I try to speak with other straw merchants and become their top priority. If I am benefiting many producers, other businesses might go out and I will remain with relationships from all across the world.  Interview number 2 recommended that customers might want to be able to bite down on the straw but this straw will not allow customer to do such because it is wax.

Interview number 3 recommended that I should think about weather my straws should come in a wrap or not. It did not think about this previously and I was happy to learn this from my interviewer. He recommends that the customers would want a clean sanitized straw rather than a straw that has minor dirt.


In terms of growing, I do see my business flourishing all throughout Gainesville since I saw how paper straws grew rapidly in Gainesville. My business could expand in a matter of months and depending on how well my demand gets, I could cover most of Florida in just a matter of months.
I want to essentially grow my business throughout America, and nationwide if the ban on plastic straws continues. I could create a market in America only, but that would mean I am limiting my expansion worldwide.


New market


I could essentially target people who use reusable straws. I could create my own reusable wax straw to bring in more straw lovers and take them away from their current straws such as bamboo, metal, etc. The way I could attract them is the difference in tip texture and how the curve around their lips would feel. I believe if I can master the art of texture around the lips off of the straw, then I could attract those customers around my product completing the transition from any other straw to my straw.

Targeting a new market will allow my business to have a momentum. Creating a momentum will steer the demand to increase because now even straw users would be curious to how my product feels like and they would just want to try it if anything. Attracting different types of markets will allow my business to expand.

With the different types of markets that I would be covering, I have interviewed two people in this matters. the First interview went pretty well and the best advice I got from him was that I needed to make the straw feel a little more personal. Nothing is wrong with creating designs or finishes to the straw to allow straw lovers to have their personal straw. My second interview recommended that the straws should include a hole that gives a good ratio of drink per sip and that is something I did not think about. It sounds a little complicated, but depending on the hole of the straw, is how the ratio is measured. I would need to create the flow to be good enough, not too much. \

In this new market I have learned that it is much deeper than going to a drive thru store and receiving a straw with your drink. Some of these people truly care about the environment just as much as I do and when they hear about my biodegradable materials used for this straw, it will attract them more towards my straw. I learned that allowing the validation in people to resemble through the straw will work and if I need to expand in my idea, I need to allow people's opinions to matter. This market is not as attractive as my first market because I am targeting people who drink out of straws everyday, but this market does give me new ideas and insights on what I should do next when targeting new audiences. What surprised me the most is that people really do throw away paper straws without even using them because they are very uncomfortable using them,  and some even go the extra mile to carry their own straw in purse or car for daily uses. I am not a person that will walk around with a straw, and therefore this is why I believe that my straw should be universal.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Mickel,
    You seemingly got some great ideas from your interviews of your existing market. If I was in your position, I probably would not think of the need for packaging either, simply because the product is so straightforward. You will need to think about different size packaging for different customers, such as individual buyers versus restaurants buying in bulk. I also think your new market would be a fantastic idea to add to your target market, because they already have a partial incentive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mickel, well done getting real feedback on your current market and potential future market. I, for one, hate the current state of paper straws. So, if you can come up with something that doesn't annoyingly kink or taste funky, that'd be awesome! I'd agree with your first interviewee about giving out your straws for free at first. For additional exposure, and nearly free advertising, you could print your company's website along the length of the straw. If your product is truly revolutionary, the restaurant's customers may even start buying your products or at least speak highly of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mickel,
    Your interviews gave you good insight into a potential future market as well as your current one. I think your wax idea to keep the straws strong and satisfying to the customer is excellent and can sell very well. I also think you can use your passion for the environment as a marketing angle, which I believe will reside well with students and people around UF.

    ReplyDelete